Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ennui

I got a new yarn done yesterday. One. New. Yarn.

This yarn disguised as a sweater is really gorgeous. It is a blend, with viscose (which I think used to be called nylon?)... but it also has wool, angora, and cashmere. Silvery gray, really lusciously soft and because of the angora, slightly furry. But it is also lace or fine sock weight, and because of the angora, really hard to unravel. The fuzz catches up with you and gets caught eventually in ONE little stitch that doesn't want to come undone and ... well never mind. So I got one little Tiny Tim 68-gram skein done. I have two more to do, around 100 grams each. And I am putting them off the best I can.

I think I have what the French call ennui (ahn-wee). The root word actually means to annoy. But it really is more a state of apathy, sloth, lay-on-the-couch, check-my-email-instead-of-doing-something-constructive.

I am normally a Get-Up-And-GO person (no, make that, I make get-up-and-go people get up and go). No really, I had a friend once tell me that my To-Do list for a day looked like hers for a week. I almost never sit down. Even if we are leaving the house in 10 minutes, there is *something* one can do in 10 minutes. After dinner instead of sitting in front of the TV, I put a tall stool next to the swift and unravel something. I knit in the bathroom or while I am walking. I have done so many loads of laundry while holding fussy babies, that my most recent baby thinks it is now her job to help do laundry. If I am practically dying with a cold or flu, I go lay on the kids' bed and make them clean their rooms. So , this is a very strange state for me.

I wonder if it will last!

Colossians 3:23-24
Do everything heartily, as if you were doing it for the Lord and not just for people, knowing that you will recieve a reward of inheritance from the Lord, because you serve the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments: