Sunday, March 8, 2009

This Is My 100th Post - Where Is My CAKE?!?

Oh wait a minute, we ate the cake this evening. We had Beverly (Betsy)'s 2nd birthday party tonight after church due to scheduling conflicts with her actual birthday, which is Monday. No matter. She is already cleverly telling us she is "doo" by pointing the index finger of each hand at us, and then turning both thumbs up to show she is thrilled.

She got lots of nice presents. A cow bowling game which is noisy and she loves it. Several little casual dresses. An annoying microphone. Three wooden tray puzzles which she can already work, even if we mix the pieces up among all three puzzles. And the BEST little red quilted bag ever, made my my daughter Desiree, who already has posted pictures of it in her blog.

We didn't eat dinner until 9PM, though I cleverly put the Penne Rigatti in a slow oven before I went to church. We had garlic bread and salad, and went through 3 2-liter bottles of soda and 2 gallons of tea. Sounds like a party. Oh and Beverly chose her own cake... strawberry (Bink!) with chocolate frosting (Bown!), and we ate it ALL. See How much she enjoyed it?

Des did B's hair. She wanted it put up because baby Hannah had hers put up. See?

I rode the motorcycle to church this evening. Veronica, my 10yod, rode with me on the way there. We went to the 5:30 service as a family, then Richard and most of the kids came home. Diantha, Artemas and I stayed to work the nurseries. Allen came to check pick-up tags for the kids, so Artemas rode home with him. So Diantha rode home with me. We took leathers with us, because we knew it would be cold riding home after dark. We went in the bathroom where she donned a pair of leather pants over her jeans and put on Richard's leather jacket. I put my fringed leather chaps on over my jeans and a tunic sweater and then a leather jacket. I said to one of the coordinators on the way out, I just love going to the church were the biker chick can keep the nursery and nobody cares. LoL. If you are ever in Knoxville, you should check out our Faith Promise Church, where the word comes alive and is relevant to lives.

It occurred to me as I rode there how completely trusting my daughter had to be to ride with me. Most of the time she can't see the road. She has no idea of what is ahead or what dangers there are. Even if she could see things happening on the road ahead, she has no access to the controls, nor would she have any idea of how to properly control them if she did. She has to totally trust me to look out for her, plan the route wisely, keep watch ahead, and protect her. She can enjoy a lot of freedom that other little girls riding by in cars don't have, but it is only because someone trustworthy is holding the reins (in this case, handlebars).

Then I thought how much this is TOTALLY like this ride through life I am on with Jesus. Much of the time, I can't see the road ahead, but it doesn't have to hamper my enjoyment. Even if and when I can see trouble coming, my solution to the problem most of the time wouldn't be the right one... it would be like trying to avert my motorcycle from danger without ever having used the controls before. I have learned I can totally trust the Lord to look out for the best for me, plan my steps wisely, be ever watchful, and protect me.

Because of what Jesus did for me through salvation, I can enjoy a lot of freedoms that others traveling this road, having to make their own way and create their own (false) safety, don't have... but it is only because I know that even should something bad happen, I am safe in His hands.

Riding the motorcycle is a balm, or a "defrag" if you will, for my spirit. But having the Lord at the controls in my life is what makes it a happy ride.

Romans 10:8-11
"...Salvation that comes from trusting Christ – which is the message we preach – is already within easy reach. In fact, the Scriptures say, 'The message is close at hand; it is on your lips and in your heart.' For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Because it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. As the Scriptures tell us, 'Anyone who believes in Him will not be disappointed.'"

1 comment:

Darkstar said...

Beautifully said, Nikki!

You also conveyed another message within your words that I try to live by. That is NEVER judge another by the way the dress, look, etc, but accept them as they are within.

It really looked like Betsy enjoyed her party, lol. Thanks so much for sharing.